Re: Wellington N.S.W rail bridge

If memory serves me correctly the reason for the 10kph speed limit on the
Wellington Bridge is its Wrought Iron (not steel) construction, like several
other bridges of its era (Bathurst for one)  it apparently was designed &
constructed in the UK then dismantled shipped out here & reassembled.

As far as I am aware the only bridge of this design not to have a speed
restriction is that at Cowra, the last of this design built. It was
constructed in Belgium of Steel, but still retains the cast iron piers
common to all this design. I was always told that the speed restrictions
were because of the brittleness of wrought iron compared to steel.

3abc8d39$0$25519$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3abc8d39$0$25519$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...