Re: US- B&O Mystery William Galloway Norris 4-2-0

In article <3abf2f1e@iridium.webone.com.au>, cullend@webone.com.au says...

>Today I have posted 3 photos on alt.binaries.pictures.rail of a 4-2-0 Norris
>locomotive. The loco displays clearly the name "William Galloway", and the
>4 wheel tender is clearly labelled "B&O RR". I believe the photos were taken
>in the 1920s or 1930s at an expostion or fair.

>The mystery arises because as far as I can tell the B&O did not have a
>Norris 4-2-0 named William Galloway, at least before 1840. See roster
>1830-1840 below.

>In one photo (no 3 of 3) the loco carries additional identification in the
>form of a white 13 on a round black target. This could be an exhibit number
>in a procession at the exposition, or it could be a raod number. B&O 13 was
>a Norris 4-2-0 built 1837 and named "Lafayette", a replica is an exhibit at
>the B&O museum.

>If indeed the William Galloway was B&O 13 (or replica of 13) why was it
>renamed ?

>Or maybe Norris delivered more 4-2-0s after 1840?

>Any info. gratefully received.

>B&O Roster 1830 - 1840
>clipped

The following is from "The Catalogue of the Centenary Exhibition of the
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad 1827-1927," Baltimore 1927. I posted a picture of the
William Galloway from the book on alt.binaries.pictures.rail.

Page 158: The "William Galloway" named after the grandfather of C. W. Galloway,
the present vice-president in charge of operation of the Baltimore and Ohio, is
a precise working replica of the famous Lafayette, the first locomotive upon
the road to have the horizontal type of boiler.

Page 162: 1837 - William Galloway (Lafayette). Built by Richard Norris of
Philadelphia, originator of the Norris type of American locomotives famous for
adhesive power. The first six wheel (4-2-0) locomotive on the Baltimore and
Ohio. Inclined cylinders; main rod connecting one pair of driving wheels
located ahead of the firebox; horizontal boiler with dome top cylindrical
firebox; inside hook motion. Sister engine of the George Washington, which
successfully operated on the Columbia Incline, Philadelphia. Engine reproduced
at the Baltimore and Ohio Mount Clare shops, 1927.

The William Galloway hauls two reproduced four-wheel open, drop side, gondola
cars used in 1831 for hauling barrels of flour and boxed freight protected by
canvas. This was the first type of freight car.

http://www.erols.com/kennrice       = Concentration Camp made of LEGO bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice = Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2,
                                    = Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire &
                                    = Crusaders of Dark Savant.
http://members.nbci.com/CWRTDC      = Civil War Round Table of DC