Re: Questions about The Ghan

Ray McDermott <raymcd@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Maybe one of our historians can help with the following:

> (1) When did the railway open to Oodnadatta and Alice Springs?

The railway to Oodnadatta was "opened" during the first
week of January 1891.

The continuation from Oodnadatta to Stuart (Alice
Springs) commenced with a sod turning ceremony on the
21st January 1927.
The line was officially opened 2nd August 1929.

Stuart became Alice Springs on the 26th January 1932.

> (2) Is it true to say that the railway was the prime cause of the demise
> of camel trains in Central Australia?

Yes, but there is a misconception that the camel trains
were THE ONLY form of transport to the Centre prior to
the completion of the Central Australia Railway, this
is not true, horses and wagons, bullock teams were used
and after the turn of the Century, motor vehicles.!

> (3) Is there a book about this subject?
> Ray

Which subject.?  The history of the line or the demise
of the camels. :)  Many books have been written, but
most are out of print.

A start would be to check with PRR Quorn.
"The History of the PICHI RICHI Railway"
ISBN 0 9598509 6 1

"The GHAN" by Basil Fuller.
ISBN 0 7270 0016 0
Out of print, check the State Library.