Re: [Melb] 27% of ticket machine out of order

Bradley Torr wrote:

> William Pearce <ben_issacs@optusnet.com.au> wrote in article
> <3b247a2b$0$25504$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...
> >     Fellow Travellers,
> >     What's the position regarding auto ticket m/cs in Sydney? Do they
> there
> > suffer the same problems to the same degree that Melb. does?  From some
> > comments on this site it seems that they do.
>
> As with all machines, there are occasional problems. However, from my
> extensive experience in travelling the CityRail network and using ticket
> machines, and from reading the complaints about the Melburnian automated
> ticketing system on this newsgroup, I would go so far as to suggest that
> Sydney's ticketing system is a thousand times better than the Melbourne
> system.
>
> The most common malfunctions with the Sydney ticketing machines at CityRail
> stations are:
>
> * An uncanny ability of the note acceptors on some machines to keep
> rejecting banknotes even if the banknote is crisp and clean and newly
> circulated, and even if you feed the banknote in the correct direction;

...in which case you crease the note a bit. No 2 machines are the same
like that...

> * They only ever give change in coins - so if you're buying a $1.10 ticket
> with a $20 note, you better be prepared for a heavy wallet;

I end up with that at least twice a fortnight.

> * Change often runs low and so you need exact change;

Fortunately I usually have exact change...

A little trick with the older TVMs is to stick $1 less than your fare
in, then a $2 coin, 9 times out of 10 you'll get a $1 coin back. Doesn't
work with touch screen TVMs though.

> * Sometimes the ticket printing apparatus runs low on ink, making the text
> on the ticket nearly illegible.

...or not printed at all (Try explaining that to a snapper!)

> Small fry problems, really. The machines are built like Panzers, they seem
> to be almost vandal proof. If only the same could be said about the rest of
> the CityRail system.....

They're pretty good as far as vandals go, but even they can get
vandalised at places like Casula...

> In all my travels, I've never been issued an incorrect ticket, been given
> the wrong change, or had a machine break down on me. Other CityRail
> travellers may well have their own experiences, I can only speak for
> myself.

I've had a TVM break down in my presence... once.

They do (generally) work well though.

--
Michael Hendy

Webmaster, http://biisetup.cjb.net

e-Gunzel - aus.rail

Basilisk II support questions should be sent to the Delphi forums if
possible, so that they can be quickly and accurately answered (I don't
know everything!)

--
"The world's programmers are trying to make the best idiot-proof
software. The universe, however, is trying to make the best idiot.

"It is our policy to upgrade our product every few months to keep up to
date with new CPUs (such as Athlon and Pentium 4), new Oses (Windows
XP), so that our code base does not get stable." - Darek Mihocka,
Emulators Inc.