Re: [OT] US Rail Guage...

"David Bennetts" >
> Interesting question James.
> have a look at http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.net/r051.html
>
> The first three railways in Ireland had gauges of 4 ft 8 1/2 in, 5 ft 3in
> and 6 ft 2 in - about 70 miles in total.
> Back in the 1840s a Royal Commission was set up in Ireland to resolve the
> situation, resulting in 5ft 3in becoming the Irish "Standard" gauge.
>
> Regards
>
> David Bennetts

Ah, I see.  That reference implies that the Irish adopted 5'3" less
than ten years before the first mainland lines were built in Sydney
and Melbourne. My understanding (some might disagree!) is that NSW
went for 5'3" initially, Vic adopted same, but then the NSW boss was
replaced and he would have none of that Irish nonsense, so he changed
the planned NSW gauge to the English 4'8.5". But the Victorians had
already ordered equipment or started building or whatever, and they
stuck with 5'3".

If only:
Oz started building railways 10 years earlier
OR
Victoria started building the Port Melbourne line a little after
Sydney
OR
The NSW boss wasn't anti-Irish
OR
The Irish had gone for 4'8.5"
... then maybe all the current frustration with standard and broad
gauge could have been avoided.