Re: Overland to continue 4 another 2 years

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:11:06 +0930, Tell <telljb@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>"Peter Berrett" <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>>

>> This is economics gone mad.
>>
>> If speeds could be significantly increased on the Melbourne - Adelaide (eg a
>> 4 hour service) then the demand would rise to the point where there would be
>> no need for a subsidy and instead the private operator would be contributing
>> revenue by paying tax.
>>
>> Instead public money is spent maintaining a rail service that is too slow to
>> attract significant demand.
>>
>> Madness
>>
>> cheers Peter
>

>A four hour rail service from MEL to AD.?
>
>Actually, the federal public money spent on railways
>these days is next to NOTHING.
>Just ask the Federal Transport Department. :(

Acrually they spend quite a bit on railways , just not on building
them .
How much do you think the Neville, Smorgon and the Prod Commissions 3
inquiries into rail cost the taxpayers.
Not to mention the current East Coast hi speed rail feasability study.
Hope you have made your submission.
Then there is the AROU , another bunch of Federal Burecrats doing what
for rail.
Then we have OASITO working their guts out for (at least now 4 years )
trying to sell NRC.

All money spent on rail though.

MD