Re: Guard & Drivers Working Together.

"Karina Vor-daniken" <vorgestern@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:65aa48a0.0106050536.644d848b@posting.google.com...
| Many years ago when I worked in Sydney, guards quiet often travelled
| at the front of the train on 4 car sets with the drivers. I always
| thought that this was a good idea because the guard could observe the
| platforms as the train arrived into the platforms late at night. Now
| there is obviously some reason that this does not happen after 9.00pm
| at night.

It's not supposed to happen at all unless there is something wrong with the
other guard's station/s.

| Some would suggest the guard needs to have the light on. Why ?

To read the timetable? Fill out delay slips?

| Now if there is a security advantage with the crew both travelling
| together, should it not be considered. It would appear petty and
| mindless prejudices have contributed to the guard back, driver front
| mentality.

Some of it would go back to when the Driver's went on strike in 1984 in
support of the guard's and then the ARU sold out the Drivers.

|  I see it is glowingly apparent even on the message board.

Huh?

| You talk about low moral, shit: just look at train crewing. The coal
| face cannot even work together to provide a better security profile,
| not only amongst their selves, but the travelling public also.

Don't blame the crews, it's the rules. Also, on a Tangara the guard is
required to have the sliding cover on the door window down in order to
observe the passengers. 99.9% of Drivers always keep this up, to keep light
out at night and to stop passengers watching them.

Personally I don't like the guards up the front as they have to keep opening
the doors, which negates any heating/air-conditioning which may be in use.