Re: Re: Re: [NSW] 2001/02 Budget

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 02:00:21 +1000, "Tezza"
<tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>"David Johnson" <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>6safhtk8qr8svovbplc3for88bseibf162@4ax.com">news:6safhtk8qr8svovbplc3for88bseibf162@4ax.com...
>| On Tue, 29 May 2001 21:07:05 +1000, "Erk" <citizenerk750@erk.au.com>
>| >Chris
>| >
>| >* snip *
>| >
>| >ATP - Automatic Train Protection
>| >
>| >Are we finally going to get it I wonder?
>|
>| I hope not.
>

>Why?

A number of reasons, but mainly because I don't like the concept of a
computer driving my train.   The ATP would have to account for the
worst braking train in the worst conditions (say a K set going down 1
in 30 in the rain).  When you get an S set with good brakes going up a
1 in 30, you would apply the brakes much later, but the computer would
dump the air.

QR has a lot of trouble with ATP dumping the brake pipe on their
trains, and they have made the decision not to install it on their
suburban trains.

David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/