Re: [NSW] Woollahra Railway Station

"Chris Reardon" <reardo@northnet.com.au> wrote in message
3b16f244@nap-ns1.netconnect.net.au">news:3b16f244@nap-ns1.netconnect.net.au...
> I was wondering if anyone has any info on Woollahra station on the ESR. In
> particular I'm trying to find where in  relation to streets above ground,
> exactly where the station lies.

If I recall correctly, the entrance of the station was to be in Nelson
Street.  Escalators were planned to take passengers down to what would have
been the only outdoor station on the ESR.

Public outcry from Woollahra residents, some of which were public identities
(shades of Bondi Beach extension?) forced the scrapping of the plans in the
early seventies.  Funnily enough, when some of these found out the running
times from Woollahra to Martin Place compared to road travel - and the
realisation that the line would finally open after many years of delays -
they requested its completion!

I would love to see plans of how the station would have looked, if any were
actually drawn up.  Feel free to correct anything that I have typed above
should it be misleading!

There are many excellent pictures of the opening of the ESR contained in
www.pictureaustralia.org - simply do a search on "Eastern Suburbs Railway".

Paul