Re: Trams vs pedestrians in Syd

"geoff dawson" <geoffrey.dawson@aph.gov.au> wrote in message
erzR6.1$R77.7121@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:erzR6.1$R77.7121@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
> Since my figures show that a congestion-free tram would do Circular-Quay
> Central in 8-9 minutes with 9 stops, this must mean that the proposal
> described in the EIS has no component of introducing public transport
> priority traffic management. The proposal must be simply to add an
extremely
> slow congested  tram service to the present extremely slow congested bus
> service. In my view this is regrettable. An opportunity missed. Geoff

I don't think that priority traffic management in already busy central urban
areas at street level would be totally practical.  To interrupt traffic
light phases for light rail vehicles would only increase congestion
elsewhere and increase gridlock.
This would be eminently suitable however for suburban areas, and Melbourne
with its wider street system could certainly benefit from this type of
improvement.

In terms of fencing the line, I also feel that this would be unattractive to
encouraging pedestrian movement, which is already very poor in Sydney, and
would face a lot of public opposition.  If you want to cross the street
having to walk a considerable extra distance to get around a fence would be
extremely unpopular.  You should consider a little bit of Sydney Tramway
history here, the first (horse) tramway laid along Pitt Street in 1861 was
very unpopular because it employed a step rail, the raised flange of which
continually caused pedestrians to trip over.  The tramway only lasted until
1865, when it was ripped up.

Whilst the tram service as proposed is unlikely to achieve any significant
advantage in terms of speed to bus transit through Sydney, it has a number
of advantages in terms of quietness, absence of pollution, and greater
levels of comfort and capacity.
Well driven (with drivers like Ted no doubt!) it also potentially offers a
much smoother ride than the bus.

In practical terms, I think attaining journey times of 8-9 minutes weekdays
is only achievable by a certain type of vehicle with a certain type of
driver, the kamikaze bicycle courier who ignores all lights and rules.

regards

David Bennetts