Re: $76m rail decision imminent

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
3AA6CFE9.45504933@fang.omni.com.au">news:3AA6CFE9.45504933@fang.omni.com.au...
> Asian infrastructure giant Hong Kong/CKI is expected to decide next week
> on investing up to $76 million in the Darwin-Alice Springs rail line.
> The company's financial experts have completed an investigation into the
> project and will make a recommendation to the company board in two or
> three days.

http://www.theadvertiser.com.au/common/story_page/0,4511,1781009%255E2682,00
.html

The photo with this story shows grass growing up to the ballast. Remember
this is 3'6" gg. and we can expect a lot of overhang. I suspect that
sticking brakes would cause molten metal to land on the ballast, but it
could fall into the grass. I have seen it happen.
I believe the Railway Company has a responsibility to poison [are there any
environementally approved poisons left?]
and keep an area clear at least 6 feet either side of the ballast. This
seems to happen in Victoria.
Victoria also runs a tractor up each side of each line once a year creating
a fire break.
A lot of farmers also plough their fence lines, and poison this area .
I bet you these farmers do nothing, except whinge to the local Minister for
another handout!
By the way, what is different this year to years gone by, except maybe that
the Railway is Privately owned now?
Cheers
Rod