Re: Sydney Tram to run in Melbourne

Yes; I happened to be walking past Preston Workshops this morning and
spotted the tram!

It was like a dream come true - to see an operational Sydney tram in
Melbourne.

And I saw it run! My briefcase provided a vantage point to get an "across
the fence" photo.

A short test trip within the workshops, but something I have waited more
than 40 years to see - since I rode to Coogee as a 10 year old school boy in
1960.

And the sight of a Sydney tram running with [stored] Melbourne Ws "looking
on" was something else.

1808 was showing Bondi. I was unable to determine whether the destination
had been set for the return journey! The weather was wonderful - 1808
definitely did not operate under threatening skies today. (I love those
clichés from the various Sydney tramway books!).

Congratulations to Dale from the Sydney Tramway Museum and Tim from the
Bendigo Trust, and all others involved, for getting 1808 to Melbourne.

1808 is one of several trams that will take part in next Monday's Moomba
parade and display in Swanston Street.

Wouldn't it be wonderful for enthusiasts to have the opportunity to ride in
on a tour in Melbourne! Let's keep our fingers crossed.

There is a good article on the return to service of 1808 in the March issue
of "Transit Australia" and I understand it will feature in next Sunday's
Herald-Sun.

Paul in Melbourne.