Re: [Vic] ALP urged to boost rail freight lines

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:58:32 +1100, David Bromage
<dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote:

>The Bracks Government has been urged to get on with improving Victoria's
>rail freight lines, starting with works between Mildura and Portland.
>National Party leader Peter Ryan says a dual gauge line between
>Maryborough to Portland to help mineral sands exports from the Murray
>Basin should be a priority.

Why the dual-gauge line?

Goes to show you how much country pollies know about their state's
rail transport when Peter Ryan isn't aware of the fact that
Maryborough already has S.G. and any money would be best spent on
converting Mildura to S.G. rather than adding a third and slower rail
to Portland.

Isn't the ARA doing its job and making sure our pollies know where the
tracks are in Victoria? Send all pollies a rail map on a mug or
something. Get these poor ignorant pollies some info before they think
that a rail what they find around a racetrack or something.....

Les Brown