Re: [Melb] New trains?

dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au (Daniel Bowen) wrote in
<5NJl6.43617$o85.240308@news-server.bigpond.net.au>:

>> The width of Comeng trains in Melbourne and Adelaide is only sufficient
>> for 5 seats across. Six would be possible at the ends if there was no
>> end door.

>They used to have 6 at the ends, before they put the end doors in for the
>short-lived roving guards. What a waste of money that was!

Not really. Camberwell shuttles still require the use of these doors. When
the train shunts into the siding between the main running lines between
Auburn and Camberwell, the only way the driver can safely make it to the
other end is via these doors.

Earlier Hitachis had these doors, hence the gap with no seat against the
drivers cab baulkhead, however the doors were closed up and never replaced.

Michael.

--
To email me, just remove ".spam" or else your reply gets directed to the
bit bucket.

Whip ME, Beat ME. "Windows ME".