Re: Site of new steel mill

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
xw0k6.41$2U6.1328@news0.optus.net.au">news:xw0k6.41$2U6.1328@news0.optus.net.au...
> Despite all the publicity about the proposed new steel mill in Newcastle,
> I haven't been able to find out the actual location. The NSW government is
> to provide $240 million in port and rail facilities.
>
> Also, does anybody know exactly what type of steel and what products
> Austeel is proposing to make?
>
> In somewhat related news, Graincorp is proposing to expand its operations
> at Newcastle.
>
> Cheers
> David

There has been no official announcement of the location. Clive Palmer of
Austeel has said the announcement will be in about 6-8 weeks time, as there
are third-party issues involved. He has said it will not be on Kooragang
Island, but will be serviced by conveyor and/or rail. Some in the media are
suggesting Tomago, in the buffer zone surrounding the aluminium smelter. The
mill is to be fed by hot briquetted iron from a new plant in the Pilbara and
is targetted at the high-quality steel market.

Graham Smith