Re: [General] Bridge terminology

Ronald BESDANSKY <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote in message
_e2h6.21423$65.109719@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:_e2h6.21423$65.109719@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> If a bridge carries a railway OVER a road, watercourse etc, it's an
> UNDERBRIDGE. If it carries a road etc over the railway, it's an
OVERBRIDGE.

I would have said as follows: if a bridge carries a road over a railway,
it's a **road** overbridge (and correspondingly for under).  This
establishes the reference point unambiguously.

> What about a bridge which carries on railway over another, e.g. Botany
Line
> over Illawarra at Sydenham (NSW) and Long Cove Viaduct (NSW western
line)???
> Is it an overbridge on the lower line and an underbridge on the higher??

Is a locomotive tank filled to 50% capacity half empty or half full?  I
think yes to both.  I tend to think of Sydenham as an overbridge and Long
Cove as an underbridge from my perspective as a passenger on suburban
electrics.  A freight loco driver on the goods lines would be entitled to
take the reverse view.

Jeff