Re: FA A Class

In article <95dqbe$d74$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  jshugg@westpac.com.au wrote:
> Have the A's generally been regarded as successful? I know that not
all
> the Bs were upgraded into A's because some frame/suspension stresses
> were becoming apparent in the earlier converts (like I suppose you'd
> expect if you dropped the latest Commodore motor into an old Torana).
>
> Thanx... James

Apparently they must be because they are still running in everyday
service and (it would appear) quite successfully.

There were reports that the A class became more difficult to maintain
with the cooling system moved to the roof and the fitment of extra
electrical equipment restricting movement within the engine bay.

Adam

> In article <znse6.71$bi2.6046@news0.optus.net.au>,
>   dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> > Doug Mason (dmason@deakin.edu.au) wrote:
> > > I have been told that Freight Australia's A85 is now able to pull
> > > bigger load than the rest of the A class so when did it get a new
> engine
> > > or what ever done to it.
> >
> > A85 was at one stage regeared for 160km/h running for high speed
tests
> > with set LH33 (when the set had Socimi bogies). Increasing the
gearing
> > reduces the tractive effort. It had a starting/continuous TE of
> 294/162kN,
> > compared with 294/212kN for a standard A. I thought it was geared
> back to
> > 133km/h years ago.
> >
> > Cheers
> > David