Re: [Melb] airport rail link

Both options are wrong: too much unnecessary engineering, and not enough
useful engineering.
The money should be spent on eliminiating *every* level crossing on the
existing Broadmeadows route (benefits to all on line citizens and the
exiting suburban service), not on providing extra tracks [except of course
the Broadmeadows North - airport route via the existing easement,
maintained as a noise buffer].

As I have said before: an integrated train service should be provided.
Airport trains should run Flinders St - Broadmeadows - Airport between
every pair of stopping-all-stations Flinders St - Broadmeadows (and
eventually Craigieburn) trains, with cross-platform interchange at
Broadmeadows.

The world's best airport lines are those which are just normal suburban
routes, without extortionate fares (just like services to sporting venues).

With my plans, everyone gains, including the bitter northern residents who
witnessed the rape of their freeway and the imposition of tolls: no wonder
they don't trust current plans.

An extended tram would be far too slow to be useful.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith