Re: [NSW - Light Rail / Trams]

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:47:23 +1100, "Ronald BESDANSKY"
<ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote:

(Snip)

>Interesting how people buy houses next to a railway (admittedly, one that
>probably hadn't had any trains running for several years, but not one that
>there was any intention of closing) and then complain when they run trains
>on it!!!!! How would this person have coped if the line had been re-opened
>as a freight line, with a long goods headed by several NRs trundling past at
>all hours of the night???
>
>(Like people that buy houses near a proposed freeway then complain about the
>noise when it's built and force the road-owner to spend squillions on sound
>walls!)

Or, up here, the peole who buy houses near Heathrow airport and demand
compensation when they hear a plane.

Then there was the Central Railway, planned to run past my Dad's house
in London's southern  suburbs. It would have carried road trucks
piggyback to the Channel Tunnel. Everyone (but not Dad - he wanted it)
complained about train movements past their backyards (already a busy
main line there), failing to grasp that these trucks would be far
quiter on railway flats than thundering along the road 200m away at
all hours as they do at present.

Sadly, the objectors had their way with the CR, so it was back to the
drawing board.

Cheers

Tom C
W Sussex, UK