Re: Yarra Trams Article in Sunday Age

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>I agree with half of Vaughan's argument though - the bit I disagree with is
>that tickets are too hard to get (make dailies available on board trams
>though) - the bit I agree with is that fare evasion is too easy and
>detection is too hard - increase the RPO's - and do this Australia wide -
>make the chance of a ticket inspection better than 50%, and you will see a
>vast reduction in fare evasion.

So you would employ armies of hostile ticket inspectors at great expense.
Why not just go back to the old system of one conductor per tram?  Then
every tram traveller gets their ticket looked at, you don't have to have
staff travelling in packs of three for their own safety, and the travelling
public will be grateful to be able to buy a ticket with a $5 note again.

TM