Re: Not enough drivers and guards?

"David Johnson" <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:3A4DC493.82BDE8CD@ozemail.com.au...
> State Rail seem worried that there will not be enough drivers and guards to
> run New Years Eve services.
>
> Drivers who have "Signed for their days", meaning they have requested their
> rostered days off are kept off, have been rostered to work anyway, without
> notification.  Many of these people will not be coming in - They will go
> sick if that is what it takes.

Those who rang the union were told if they had signed for their day off, that
was it, it was a day off, whatever the roster clerks did. Some blokes had
bullshit letters sent to them claiming that CityRail/government was invoking
essential services legislation to force them to work.

I noticed 7 Drivers at Campbelltown weren't working and hadn't signed for the
day off.

> Train crew who are rostered to work very late on New Years Eve have been
> shafted.  The double time and a half payment only goes up until midnight,
> then reverting to normal time and a half.
>
> Train crew who are rostered to work very early New Years Eve get double time
> and a half for the entire shift, but do not have to put up with any of the
> crowds.

I quite agree, though I benefited from it. They should've done the same as
last year, 2pm to 2pm.

> I have been on very early morning shift for the last week, finishing at
> 13:00 today.  My next turn of duty is 21:00 New Years Eve.  My body clock is
> still in morning shift mode, but I have been rostered to go from the
> earliest sign on one day, to the latest sign on the next day without any
> break in between.

Was that altered working? Did it comply with the layback limitation?