Sydney (Aus) Trams [was Re: Diffrence between LRT

Ted Gay wrote:

> "Matthew Geier" <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote :

> > The Sydney Light Rail competes directly
> against
> > 2 or 3 Sydney buses routes. Routes that often get the new low floor buses,
> and
> > also run right into the CBD unlike the trams.

> The State Government owns and operates the bus services and that same State
> Government has denied Sydney Light Rail's request for permission to extend
> their tram tracks through the CBD.  A conflict of interest....nah!

I think you will find that the reason the state government has reneged
on the proposal to extend the tramline through the CBD to Circular Quay
is that pig-ignorant Pitt Street retailers (who clearly have never seen
the flourishing Bourke Street Mall and its trams in Melbourne) claim
that the presence of modern trams in their dreary street would drive
away customers.

I suspect the same retailers are paying large "donations" to the ruling
party, hence the ruling party's refusal to allow the extension.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand