Re: Near miss at Victoria (London)

james_shugg@my-deja.com wrote:

> A major signal failure at Victoria station caused big delays last night
> (2/1). All signals were at red, and drivers were being told
> individually to pass them. However two packed, late trains left at the
> same time from different platforms on converging tracks, and only the
> quick action of a signaller who issued a verbal "Stop!" command to all
> trains in the vicinity, and cut power to the trains (they were both
> sparks), averted a collision. According to media reports, the trains
> had reached about 15mph, but ended stopping about 15 metres apart.
>
> Can signallers on the various Australian electric systems cut power to
> trains like that, on the basis of a split second decision?

I don't think so.

AFAIK, electric trains in (at least) Sydney and Melbourne can be stopped
if they go through a red  by a "train stop arm" beside the track which
applies the brakes.

>From what I recall about the various UK crashes, the train tracks around
London don't have these "train stop arms," one reason there have been so
many bad crashes when trains go through the red.

I stand to be corrected and would like to know more.