Impressions of the Gold Coast line

I've just returned from a week on the Gold Coast. I took the opportunity
to go up to Brisbane by train on Tuesday. This included by first trip to
Robina and my first ride on an SMU2.

The alignment is VERY smoothe, and it was a pity we were restricted to
100km/h.

The plans for the redevelopment of the Coolangatta airport area are on
display in the airport terminal. It includes provision for a station out
the front, on what is currently vacant land.

The railway would cross the border at Tugun, then go west of the main
runway, dive under the runway extension and approach the airport station
from the south. There is also provision for a standard gauge alignment
from the border to the airport station.

There are five spark sidings at Robina, more than required by the current
timetable. There would be no room for sidings at Coolangatta, so all
storage must be planned for Robina. I don't know if this will include the
private airport express trains.

On a related note, Surfside buses provide an excellent connecting service
with through tickets available on the Trainlink shuttles from Pacific
Fair.

Cheers
David