Re: [Melb] Cheap train fares dumped

"Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3a624b3e$0$15469$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a624b3e$0$15469$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> "Martin Bienwald" <obelix@fim.informatik.uni-mannheim.de> wrote in message
> 93sm1i$hfa$1@trumpet.uni-mannheim.de">news:93sm1i$hfa$1@trumpet.uni-mannheim.de...
> > Daniel Bowen <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > : I read it as: "most outer suburbs families own two cars, therefore
public
> > : transport is poor"
> >
> > : I think it's more like: "outer suburbs public transport is poor,
therefore
> > : most families own two cars".
> >
> > Well, probably both is true. People buy cars and stop using public
> > transport, therefore buses are running empty, leading to service cuts,
> > which in turn let more people buy a car and stop using PT.
> >
> > After a few turns around, no one knows who started it anymore.
>
> Chicken or egg?

Yep, except that in most outer suburbs, the good (bus) service was probably
never there. In inner to middle suburbs, there was formerly a reasonable
service (at least for buses in Melbourne) which has been cut back over the
years, the last recent big cut in most areas being in 1991.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au