Re: [SA] White light on signals

iyb <iyb@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3a66ecd7$0$15486$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a66ecd7$0$15486$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> "Taliesin Walker" <taliesin@chariot.net.au> wrote in message
> 3a66e8d7.3168211@news.chariot.net.au">news:3a66e8d7.3168211@news.chariot.net.au...

>> This may be a silly question but:

>> When travelling on trains in Adeliade I have noticed that
>> some signals have row of write lights above and  running at a
>> diagonal to the ordinary red, yellow and green lights. What
>> information do these light convey?

> Route  settings so as the driver knows in advance as to what
> route has been set and is able to take evasive action before
> the wrong routing occurs they

The application in SA, on Trans Adelaide to be precise is the line
of lights, (sometimes called a JRI or 'feather') is lit up when a
train is to take a diverging route.  The driver is then supposed
to slow down to the speed limit of the diverge through that
particular turnout.  If the driver is not taking a diverging route
then the JRI isn't lit.

> are used widely in other states too!!!

Even in Victoria where we have a 'Speed Signalling' system,
numerous locations have route indicators.  So you know when the
signaller has misrouted you...

--
B.

Email - gunzel412 at dingoblue dot net dot au
ICQ#  - eight two three two nine seven three four
Phone - long, short, long, long.