Re: [SYD] Emergency Services at Central Station a.m. Wed 17/01/2001

I have my engineer's (driver's) license here in North Carolina.  I have
fortunately never been at the throttle where someone has been killed but I have
friends who have had that experience.

An engineer friend of mine was operating a Norfolk Southern train between
Greensboro and High Point, North Carolina at track speed when he rounded a
curve to see a woman and a child walking down the middle of the track.  He set
the train in emergency and leaned on the horn.  The woman stepped off the track
but not the child.  All he could do was watch it happen.

My wife and I had the pleasure of being at the Paralympics this fall.  We were
watching a special on television on New Years Eve about the Paralympics where a
U.S. athlete from Raleigh, North Carolina was describing how he lost his leg.
He was run over by another Norfolk Southern train in Raleigh.  I had to leave
to room while he was describing this on television.  My wife understood.

Bill Brueckmann