Re: Maglev in the news again

David Bennetts (davibenn@ozemail.com.au) wrote:

> "David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
> yZKb6.35$d76.2049@news0.optus.net.au">news:yZKb6.35$d76.2049@news0.optus.net.au...
> > The Member for Cunningham is spouting maglev again in today's Illawarra
> > Mercury. He cites the Shanghai airport deal as proof that Transrapid is no
> > longer in the design and test track stage.

> Could we have a little more detail, please David.  Has Shanghai's new
> airport actually signed a construction contract?

Transrapid has signed an agreement to build with the Chinese government. I
don't know if this actually means a contract or a MoU.

The BBC news item is:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1129000/1129295.stm

See also criticism in IRJ and Scientific American:
http://www.railjournal.com/2000-03/thismonth.html
http://www.sciam.com/1097issue/1097stix_maglev.html

Even if the actual contract has been signed, nothing has been build and it
certainly hasn't been proven in commercial service. Not until the first
paying passenger travels to Shanghai airport can it be considered to be
beyond the test track stage.

>  If so, they've been
> shanghied (bad joke). I had a look at Transrapid's website (English
> version), which says nothing about the deal.

Beijing has been very quiet about it, and nothing much has come out of
Berlin either. The only noise seems to be coming from Emsland. And
Wollongong!

>  Transrapid's website showing a maglev train with DB logo (Deutsche
> Bundesbahn) is a bit of a con,

It's actually just Deutsche Bahn AG now. :)

Cheers
David