Re: Gunzelling

Ken Andrew wrote:

> Would some kind soul be good enough to define the term 'gunzelling'?
>
> As an interested, but ignorant, looker-on to this group, it has puzzled me
> for some time.
>
> Ken A

Obviously you haven't been reading here for long enough - there was a
lively debate on the origins of "gunzel" a few weeks ago (which started
about a month before that).

Despite its somewhat cloudy origin, my interpretation of gunzel is that
it is used by crews to describe people chasing the trains, mostly with
cameras, although video and sound recorders have been added in the last
few years. The description can be applied in either gentle humour, or
more often it is derogitary (especially if uttered by train crews!).

It can also be used in the first person. For example, if you were to
utter "I'm going to do a spot of gunzelling" to your wife (or whoever
else listens), it would be inferred that you were going to either chase
a train for some distance, or wait at a particular spot and see what
goes past, and record the results.

There endeth my 2.2c worth. Feel free to howl it down! :-)

Cheers.

 Peter Homann
The light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off
until economic conditions improve.  Management.