Re: An idea of mine - express trams

Interesting idea.  There are in fact about three or four places in Melboure
where there are short loops in the network.  One is on Route 3 near the
Caulfield Plaza to service Caulfield race course.  One is near the Showgrounds
on route 57 and the other is near the South Melbourne soccer ground and that,
I think is route 12 - can't be sure on that.  And there is a new one built at
Vodaphone Arena for route 70.  These loops are not for passing rather for
storing af trams for big events.  There are places where you could build such
loops like on the Light Rail lines or in special reservations but that would
require major traffic works - even by Melboure standards.  I was looking at
the Yarra trams website recently and they are trying a traffic management
experiment with route 109 (soon to be Box Hill-Station Pier).  This will make
the travelling of trams easier with them getting even more priority on the
roads.  One can only hope when it comes to trams.  Still, lets see about the
loop idea.

Jeremy de Korte
jdekorte@one.net.au