Re: Motive Power Magazine V's Railway Digest- remember Rail Transportation?

Bill Bolton wrote in message ...
>Railway Digest does attempt to provide a broad and topical coverage of
>many railfan issues.  While I find some of the rhetoric tiresome, at
>least it is covering a lot of interesting ground in the Australian
>rail transport area.
>
>Motive Power is just limited to one special interest within
>railfanning and as such it could be compared to Transit Australia,
>Light Railways, Trolley Wire etc, but not to Railway Digest.
>
>Cheers,
>Bill

>Bill Bolton
>Sydney, Australia

What Bill states is true.
Railway Digest is the only true national magazine.  Track & Signal is a
quarterly industry magazine which will not criticise those in the industry
and is full of advertising, not a patch on the old independent 'Railway
Transportation' 1951-74(it was the best!).

Railway Transportation covered everything. It was very 'newsy'. It reported
on the manufacturers, the government and private railways, and all senior
personel changes.
Technical articles also appeared on new locomotives.  Extensive articles
were written about new projects such as the Sydney-Perth standardisation,
down to what locomotives would pull the Indian-Pacific in each state (of
interest to railfans, something which Track & Signal, Network et al would
not care to do).  Recent rail literature was reviewed.  Any preservation
developments at the time were reported.  Track and Signal still uses the
'Recent Tenders' format pioneered by Railway Transportation.

Today Railway Digest is the only magazine that looks at the issues from the
outside without any influence from industry groups.  It looks at all rail
aspects contemporary, historic and those purely for railfans.

Sometimes I have found 'Motive Power' superficial.  The articles by Peter
Clark are a redeeming quality.

Railway Digest has been around for a long time and has changed with the
times, so I am sure it will be around for many more.

Regards,

Grahame