No Subject

I was looking for Web sites that had information about Vline freight operation around the area of the Murry river from Mildura to Albury that went down to Melbourne, includes the line from Tocumwal in N.S.W. through to Melbourne via Shepparton Vict.

As a family we used to go camping along the banks of the Murry river at Tocumwal every year at Easter since 1990 to '95. There was a fire along the Murry around Xmas '93, as a result the tracks at Tocumwal were burn't out, including the bridges that crossed the gully's on the Vict'. side of the border. I walked along these tracks the Easter after the fires, and noted that a lot of tracks had been lifted out of position and thrown to one side, the bridges had been completely stripped of track.

After this period they rebuilt ( I guess V/Line) the track from Toc' through to Strath' and were hauling containers with rice using "P" class loco's from Toc' through to Shepparton on to Melbourne terminal. As well as rice they may have been sending general freight in both directions. The train went over the bridge at Toc' at around 7.00 am weekdays.

If possible I would like to find out if the freight operation is still going on to or from Tocumwal or has it died or still alive , on what basis do they send the train "as example" twice a week - maybe a Tuesday & Friday or every second day or only on request when the freight yard starts to get full, also in what direction do the goods go ?.  It would be to think that the line continues up through Finley and hopefully beyond into N.S.W. but I suspect that this is not case.

Likewise I would be curious on when the last train went through Yarrawonga on to N.S.W. with freight and if it is still operating how regular is the service on this line ?.

Name; Kenneth Jennion.

P.O. Box 47 Boronia., Vict. 3155.

Ph. No; 0408-058394