Re: National guage standardisation - why 4'8.5"?

Re your last line about the CR, logic and the North
Australia Railway.  The beginning of the NAR was the
Palmerston (Darwin) and Pine Creek Railway which was
constructed by the SOUTH AUSTRALIAN RAILWAYS back when
the NT was "owned" by the SA.
The Commonwealth Railways did not exist back then.!
The logic for 3'6" in the Top End of the Northern
Territory was purely SAR.

....Tell