Re: National guage standardisation - why 4'8.5"?

What a load of crap to say 3' 6" is cheaper than standard gauge.  It might
have been to a certain extent when Qld (and other Colonial gauge states) ran
dinky little toy trains, but I bet since loads have increased to std gauge
weights the cost of 3' 6" is probably greater. The greatest disadvantage is
the horrible wheel flange wear on heavy freight trains on curves.  Some one
once in this group said that Qld no longer used vertical rail but now canted
rail. Could someone explain how they could manage to convert as it not only
involves canting the rails inwards but also involve re-profiling wheels
treads to a conical profile.  I frankly do not believe they could have
converted every kilometre of rail or wheel to the canted standard.  I
understand 90 degree wheel treads and rails cause terrible rail/wheel wear
with heavy speedy loads. Any comments? Anyhow, to sum up, there is
absolutely no advantage in using 3' 6".  Too much sun fries brains up in
Qld.
Cheers
Rod Gayford
z1KC6.2941$EQ3.94176@ozemail.com.au">news:z1KC6.2941$EQ3.94176@ozemail.com.au...