Re: Help with o/seas trains

"Roderick Smith" <rodsmith@werple.net.au> wrote in message
01c0c7b8$f8567760$9e9417d2@rodsmith">news:01c0c7b8$f8567760$9e9417d2@rodsmith...
> Anonymous Phil with a fake address asked for information about Singapore -
> Thailand travel.
> Thomas Cook Overseas Timetable is published for this very reason, and is
> available in Australia at Railfan Shop (Melbourne) and Mercury World
Travel
> (Sydney).
>
> --
> Regards
> Roderick Smith
> Rail News Victoria Editor

Anyone can look up the website for Malaysian railways to get the current
tables, see
www.ktmb.com.my but a word of warning, the International Express from
Butterworth to Bangkok, which is supposed to run daily, doesn't always make
it over the border into Malaysia, often being terminated at Hat Yai instead,
200 km up the track in Thailand.  I believe it tends to do this when it runs
late, or when there's not many passengers booked through on it.  Trains are
running late in southern Thailand continuously because of flood damage and
track upgrading work.

When I was up there a couple of weeks ago, the train didn't show in
Butterworth, got a refund and took a taxi the whole 200km to Hat Yai, stayed
there in a nice hotel and flew up to Bangkok next day.  I had tried at Hat
Yai to get an overnight sleeping berth, but were all sold out for that
evening.  Four days later, the information booth at Hat Yai station was
blown up by terrorists, result one dead and about forty injured.

Regards

David Bennetts