Re: National guage standardisation - why 4'8.5"?

Bradley Torr wrote:

> Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
> <mNWC6.158218$r55.9659953@news5.aus1.giganews.com>...
>
> > Three had 3'6" - WA, SA and Qld.
>
> Why did South Australia have two guages within the state?
>
> I know that the Port Lincoln system is 3'6" but that's isolated from the
> rest of the state's railway network.
>
> When were all the other 3'6" lines converted to 5'3"?
>
> Regards
> BT

The "why" could probably be debated ad nauseam.
I think 5'3" was the gauge of choice, but when it came time to consider
building lines in relatively inaccessible parts of the state, or over
longer distances, cost became a more influencing factor, and 3'6" was
chosen. This was partly due to the lower cost of construction and
operation (speeds over 25mph were considered unnecessary), and as
mentioned elsewhere, the track could pass through fairly tight curves.
The Port Lincoln Division (SAR) has probably avoided being converted
simply because it *is* isolated.
Conversions largely happened in the 1960's period.
1956: Port Augusta to Marree "converted" to standard gauge (by bypassing
the 3'6")
Similar time: Sout East division converted from 3'6" to 5'3".

Someone with appropriate books at hand can probably clarify the dates,
but that should be a good start.

Cheers.
 Peter Homann
The light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off
until economic conditions improve.  Management.