Re: Vic Govt 'committed' to fast rail links

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:58:28 +1000, "Bryan Cullis"
<spanky81@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>"David Martin" <d_martin@mountains.net.au> wrote in message
>huWA6.1633$s34.51228@ozemail.com.au">news:huWA6.1633$s34.51228@ozemail.com.au...
>> Compared to NSW, they have a topographical advantage.
>> Getting out of Sydney, in any direction, involves major engineering due to
>> rugged landforms, rivers & gorges, etc.
>
>Well, who's bloody fault is that!!!  If you had've built a nice little city
>like Melbourne, you wouldn't have that trouble!!!  But I guess that's what
>first drafts are for....!!

Bryan, but Sydney did plan and build Melbourne. The first assisted
immigrants to Melbourne were actually from Sydney in 1839. The town
was surveyed by Hoddle, who btw, planned a railway line at the same
time, sent from Sydney. It was even named from Sydney, by Governor
Richard Bourke.

Just goes to prove that the final product always comes after a rough
draft. I'm sure Hoddle was conscious of Sydney's "mistakes".

Les Brown