Re: Interest in fast train links unlikely says Opposition

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:49:51 +1000, "Roy Wilke"
<roywilke@notabitlikeanisp.net.au> wrote:

>"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>3ad52935.19487617@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3ad52935.19487617@can-news.tpg.com.au...
>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:07:15 +1000, David Bromage
>> <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> >The Victorian Opposition says the Government has no hope of attracting
>> >private money for its proposed fast train links between Melbourne and
>> >Victoria's main regional centres.
>> >
>> >http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/vic/archive/metvic-12apr2001-14.htm
>>
>> Id suggest that they are spot on , given FAs problems with the Vic
>> Govt,and no explanation at all from the Vic Govt of how private sector
>> investors in hi speed rail will ever get their money back.
>> Goverments seem to think that private sector investment simply means
>> that the private sector pays for Govt owned infrastructure .
>> Unless the Vic Govt is prepared to guarantee the returns from hi speed
>> rail,as they ahve had to do with toll road projects like Transurban
>> ,then no one will invest.
>> Would you put your hard earned dollars into rail in Victoria?
>>
>> MD
>
>So, I take it that you're saying that the only way that a privatise railway
>operator can make a profit in Australia is with Government subsidies (i.e. a
>guarantee that alternative publically-owned and accessible infrastructure
>will be downgraded because the railway is operated by a private operator
>which needs to make a profit using equipment and infrastructure that was
>originally paid for by the tax payers and was acquired by the private
>operator at a discounted price well below the cost price value of the
>publically-funded infrastructure)?
>
>If that's the case, then can you give me a valid argument for privatisation?

Not sure what you mean here.
There is currently no hi speed rail in Victoria that has been paid for
by the taxpayers.
The private operator is being asked to put in at least $250 million
,and yes , with that sort of investment there is no way that thay can
make a profit.
Can you give any examples of privately owned hi speed railways in the
world that make a profit ,that operate in a market as small as
Victoria?

MD