Re: XPT's Reduced

If Country Link want to compete they should chuck out first class and the
buffet and sleeping cars and convert them all to sit up tourist class and
charge $30 for a one way trip to Brisbane and Melbourne.  Really try and
attract the low end poor and back packer passenger.  For food put in vending
machines.  On the Nth Coast run they could even try a rave car. But under no
circumstances buy new equipment as its just not possible to make money in
face of the cheap air fares.  The passengers travelling first class are
pensioners topping up their $10 fare.  If pensioners etc didn't travel by
train who would be on them?  The caveat I place on all this is the Brisbane
and Melbourne runs only as the bigger country destinations might have some
possibilities as the volume of passengers may not be high enough to attract
a number of cheap airlines.  I believe the air fares to say Albury are still
very high.  Sorry to be gloomy but I wish there was another way out of this.
Cheers
Rod Gayford

3AD41E7E.3030603@bigpond.com">news:3AD41E7E.3030603@bigpond.com...