Overseas Reader Query (from railway digest)

This magazine has recently received a request for information from a US
reader, which we
quote verbatim:
'A member of our local ARHS Chapter recently returned from Down Under, and
sent us a
few observations of your railroad operations near Adelaide. South Australia.
But we're a bit
puzzled about some of the things he saw, and we're hoping you guys can help
us out here.
'He said he saw a few trains being assembled at a small staging yard called
Dry Creek.
He wasn't sure where the main hump yard was, but this one seemed fairly
busy. It is located
next to the MPC Locomot/ve Museum, where he said he saw some preserved E or
F un/ts
trial /ooked to be in remarkably good condition, some even repainted!
'Anyway, he was very impressed that you Aussies actually have double
stacking, and he
spent some time watching the NR class yard switchers assembling a train at a
small
container pad at Islington, a few miles away. He was told the trains operate
west of Adelaide
clear across the desert to Perth. What he didn't tell us was what motive
power you use for
the line haul, as all he could see were the yard hogs. Hoping you can
provide some data for
us on your heavy haul locomotives.
'Also was there a railroad labor strike on Saturday, 1 April? Our member
only saw four
short freight trains, including a roadrailer hauled by one of the switchers,
going north from
the town that afternoon. Perhaps it would have been busier if he had
returned on Monday?"