Re: A thumbs up to trains

On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 17:39:17 +1000, Mark & Roz Creely
<mcreely@pnc.com.au> wrote:

>Maurie,
>
>Didn't you read Als 2nd post which said Dr Karl made a mistake or two.
>And I think he's on the money, need more people to think this way and express
>their view.
>
>Regards Mark:-)

Yes I did read it .
The problem is that people who are putting up an argument that is pro
rail  ,or indeed pro road or pro anything, need to get the basic facts
right, or their arguments will be discredired.
Obviously , there is far too much freight being carted around the
country on trucks , when it should be going by rail, but the problem
is not a simple one to solve .
As the ABC program on the truckies showed , most truckies work long
hours and drive ridiculous distances just to break even , and at the
same time are being heaviliy subsidised.
One has to wonder where the subsidies are actually going ,and would
there be any trucking industry if they wernt subsidised.?
Trains , unfortunately, cant deliver goods to my corner shop.

MD