Re: [MELB] City Loop issues

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> >Tram - significantly slower than a train
> >Walk - even more slow - what about older people, or even disabled people
> >who wish to travel around the CBD quickly and efficiently??
>
> I didn't say it was ideal, only that its the only way to do what you
> described.
>
> Dave's suggestion of having one group (say the Burnley ones) running
> clockwise
> through the loop is sensible, that way, you can always "get there from
> here".
>
> So how about:
> * Loop runs same direction all day
> * remembering some trains run direct to flinders st, most of these would run
> through to the other side of town
> * CHL and CFD groups run anticlockwise, western and BLY groups run clockwise

So Vaughan from what you just stated above, the Burnley group will be
the only one that run direct to Flinders Street than Loop all day.
Therefore, I look forward to see Richmond during morning peak - many
changing from Burnley to Caulfield group services in order to have
direct access to the City Loop.  Also with the current privatisation
arrangement, the only services that may run from one side to other side
of the town is Caulfield and Northern groups by M>Trains.

[snip]

> Only if you actually stop trains for longer than 1 - 2 minutes at Flinders.
> Recovery time should be at the end of the line, not at Flinders.

By using the above model, the problem of stopping time will be shifted
from Flinders Street to Richmond, as majority of Burnley group customers
will not have direct Loop access during morning peak.

[snip]

> Vaughan Williams
> Secretary
> Public Transport Users Association
> 247 Flinders Lane
> Melbourne 3000
> http://www.ptua.org.au

So when your suggestion of Loop working becomes reality for Burnley
group, we can mention your Association as the one who suggested such an
idea to our angry customers who have now lost City Loop services during
morning peak.  Let's hope your answering machines can handle all their
calls!  Just let me remind you again that my personal observation for
morning peak is 75% City Loop and 25% Flinders Street direct.  In fact,
during morning peak, all our services are City Loop.