Re: [Melb] [Seattle] W2 class trams

It certainly was the case as of October last year as I rode the trams in
question,  The strange thing about these W Class trams is that they have
been converted for high level platform use which is a contrary to the usual
arrangements in the USA.  There are also a couple of W class trams running a
very long loop in Memphis Tenesee. The river side of the loop actually uses
one of a formerly double tracked main rail and has to cross over the still
very much single track that remains in use by all freight and AMTRAK trains.
The tram cars have got this bloody great air operated steam loco whistle
which is used to whistle at the grade crossings as required by law.  I am
not sure if the cross over is interlocked. The tram drivers were not aware
if this was the case or really cared.  I think this arrangement would not
get past first base in this country.  I wasn't too comfortable trundling
across a main line in a Melbourne tram car.  One of the drivers (sorry
motorman) told me that New Orleans was very keen to get hold of some W trams
to supplement the tram system there.  I also rode the New Orleans system as
well as San Francisco and San Diego light rail systems.
Cheers
Rod Gayford

WZKy6.9135$45.53326@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:WZKy6.9135$45.53326@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...