Re: METCARD valiation

"John Elliott" <jae3806@usa.net> wrote in message
PNXA5.60533$c5.167847@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:PNXA5.60533$c5.167847@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Was stopped by an inspector the other day that said my weekly ticket had
> be validated each that and that in the near future it would be an offence
> not to validate it each day. Is this a scare tactic ?. If I spend $90.00
on
> a weekly and vaildate it the first day, where have I sinned ??.

It is up to the interpretation of the courts, and as far as I know, the
courts have not yet interpreted the provision.

The provision basically states that a ticket which requires machine
validation must be validated upon boarding a vehicle or defined area. The
problem is that it has not been defined as to what a "ticket which requires
machine validation" is - is it a ticket with a magnetic stripe, which the
operators stipulate needs to be inserted into a validator in order for it to
be validated for that trip, or is it an unvalidated ticket which needs to be
inserted into a validator so that it can be made valid for that
2-hours/day/week.

It is something that is quite vague in the regulation, and is propbably
something that my learned friends will have to consider.

The regulation can be found at
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/tarfr1994493/s206.html

Dave