Re: North Australia Railway Mk1

jshugg@westpac.com.au wrote in message <8qs9c1$d05$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>The closure of the Pine Creek mine and infrastructure damage caused by
>Cyclone Tracy prompted the closure of the 3'6" gauge line between
>Darwin and Larrimah in 1974.
>Was the line pulled up, or is it still largely intact?  Was any of the
>line retained for tourist/preservation operations?
>Many thanx
>James
Mmmmm......
The closure of the Frances Creek iron ore mine killed what was left of the
NAR ca. 1976.

Pine Creek Goldfields was not a railway user and went on mining until 1995.
When I visited Pine Creek in 1990/93
i    the railway at Pine Creek and at Katherine was intact
ii    the railway station at Pine Creek was a local museum
iii at another local museum at Adelaide River, there were the remains of 4
wheel trucks through-piped for vacuum brakes (a mystery I never solved --
was the NAR vacuum brake or Westinghouse brake in steam days ... did ex-NAR
locos sold to TGR and EBR already have vacuum brakes ... were they native
NAR or ex-WAGR?)

Hope this helps a little,

Bill