No Subject

Hi Deano, You wrote...

"I went for a spin in an 81 class (Goulburn-Wollongong and return) the
other day and being curious was wondering if anyone can fill me in on
the electrics. I noted the max amps was up to 1200 with a continuous
figure somewhere near 800. I understand these locos produce about
2400kw which at
1200 amps would equate to 2000 volts DC. A voltage this high would
seem to carry a significant risk of arcing and I was wondering if this
really is a
problem or have I got the numbers wrong. I learned from the driver
that the engine is connected to an AC generator which is then
rectified to a DC
voltage but he was not sure what it was. All in all it was a
sensational experience and the escarpment was nothing short of
spectacular in either
direction. I have some electrical qualifications and am just curious,
was wondering if anyone is familiar with the numbers applicable to
these locos.
regards Deano

TO my not too direct knowledge ( I've never worked on a Super Series)
the motors are all connected in parallel so they are taking 400 kw per
traction motor. What I cannot tell you is if one individual motor is
monitored by the load meter as you describe as it was in Alcos in my
experience but I would assume that to be the case as the output of the
alternator should be around the 415 volt mark. With increased
insulation of the newer style motors etc that load would be less than
1000 Amps per motor.  Hope this does not lead you up the garden path!

Cheers

Trevor