Re: Sydney tram route

"Bill Bolton" <billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org> wrote in message
9prasscbk0bahf5v66q1aec3jmakio4doo@4ax.com">news:9prasscbk0bahf5v66q1aec3jmakio4doo@4ax.com...
> "whitehat" <whitehat@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I have just visited Sydney and travelled on the new tram. Much of the
route
> > is through impressive railway cuttings. I am curious to know when trains
> > last ran on that part of the route and whether they were suburban
passenger
> > trains.
>
> The route formed part of a network called the "Metropolitan Goods
> Lines" which were created circa 1920 with the aim of getting freight
> working off the metropolitan passenger network as far as possible.  It
> never carried any regular passenger rail service.
>
> What is now the Darling Harbour tourist precinct used to be a large
> waterfront good yards and the current tram route was oneof the the two
> major connections from that yard to the rest of the rail network.
> Even after Darling Harbour was redeveloped the portion of the line
> from Rozelle to the Pyrmont Peninsular continued to be used for access
> to a couple of industries, such as a flour mill.  The last trip goods
> workings to the Pyrmont Peninsular would have been about 4 to 5 years
> ago.  Last serious use of the line as major part of the metropolitan
> goods network would been 25+ years ago.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill

AFAIK the last regular freight workings were wheat deliveries to the Edwin
Davis flour mill.  This mill near the present Wentworth Park tram stop is at
present being demolished, the complete roof has been removed, although it
appears the walls at the northern end will be retained, there has been steel
bracing attached inside and out.

"whitehat" have you ridden the new  Westex (new extension)?  The line runs
mainly on brick viaducts above parkland and has a tunnel of 750 metres
(744.8 if I was pedantic!!).

Ted