Re: Thought exercise - steam VFT

Greetings all - try these thoughts out:

1 - To reduce coal stops and time lost - make the unit oil-fired (also gets
around bush-fire and total fire bans). Axles under oil tanker can also be
powered to achieve a better power weight ratio for the train.
2 - Reciprocating engines have a "practical" maximum speed of about 300rpm,
some of the marine generating plant units got up to 500rpm. Try a marine
high speed type at about 500rpm and step up the gearing to drive AC
generators.
3 - Fit AC motors (lower maintenance than DC motors) to ALL axles to get
power weight ratio as high as possible.
4 - Design the boiler and as a "flash" steam unit as used on the Bessler
rail cars in the 1930's (3 minutes from light up to go).
5 - Incorporate a gas producer fire box arrangement to get maximum thermal
economy from fuel. This includes admission of secondary air into the
combustion zone. The fuel also would burn cleaner.
6 - Make steam engines as condensing units to assist water economy and
reduce the need for water stops. This also increases both the unit's daily
availability and range. Use some of the power generated to drive the fans
required for the condenser. A condensing unit with a closed loop water
system would also get around problems encountered when operating in
hard-water areas with the consequent extra washouts etc and foaming problems
that occurred "in the good old days". (remember the photos of the steam
locos with white stained boiler sides near the washout plugs and front ends)

7- If you really want to be controversial and thought provoking - go
nuclear - we have about 1/3 of  the world's uranium. A small "submarine
type" reactor driving a closed loop water circuit and steam turbine AC
generating plant in the middle of the train would give you a speedster with
that doesn't need a "long extension cord". Use the sides of the passenger
cars or roofs as part of the condenser to bleed of the heat. In winter you
could duct some of this cooling water into the 1950's style feet warmers and
have them "glow in the dark". ;-)

Enjoy the rest of the mental challenge, Regards, John Garaty

E3fy5.52$nQ.6020@news0.optus.net.au">news:E3fy5.52$nQ.6020@news0.optus.net.au...