Re: Adelaide tram refurbishment commences

"Michael Lewis" <mdlewis@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
nYjv5.6190$tj4.38757@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:nYjv5.6190$tj4.38757@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Shame!!!
>
> However, I have read that in New Orleans they have made modern copies of
> the St Charles tram - which looks like a first cousin of the Glenelg tram
> - without the pantograph desecration.

They're far from copies - whilst the bodies look slightly similar, though
with extra doors cut in the sides for disabled access they're on modern CKD
(Czech) bogies and have modern control equipment, they don't sound or ride
anything like the original St Charles Cars.  There was a fully imported
modern CKD car doing test runs when I was there last year, only real
modification was trolley poles for the local overhead (panto tied down), and
I had a ride and meaningful discourse with the motorman.

Regards

David Bennetts