Re: ORTA

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
EvIu5.74454$g53.1303965@news5.giganews.com">news:EvIu5.74454$g53.1303965@news5.giganews.com...
> "avachat" <avachat@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
> 39bb50dd$0$26540$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39bb50dd$0$26540$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> >

> > Keith Blake <blakex2@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> > 39bb403f@dnews.tpgi.com.au">news:39bb403f@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> > > Does anyone have any scanner frequencies for ORTA bus or rail,
(anything
> > > interesting?)
> > > Does anyone have any interesting rail frequences or State Transit bus
> > > frequencies please.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Thomas
> >
> > No disresprct to you KB but the last thing any rail or bus worker
> > needs is for their or ORTA radio frequencies published so as
> > hoax radio messages can make their work environment
> > less safer than it is now.
>
> Why? Any safety critical messages would be passed via secure radio, and
only
> non-critical stuff would be passed via non-secure radio. This is why
> authority to pass signals at stop cannot be given via radio but only by
> telephone (although not sure if the new radio system allows for this).
>
> Anyway, what is the difference between ORTA and aviation? I can quite
easily
> go and buy a hand held transmitter able to tune into aviation frequencies.
>
> Or are you suggesting that Olympic security is less than what they have in
> the current rail environment or the aviation environment?
>
> Dave
>
> I'm not suggesting any thing other than to say that it would be
irresponsible to make life too
easy for idiots who get a kick out of transmitting unauthorised messages
that
at times interfere with safety critical transmissions.
The person I was responding to was not just requesting ORTA frequencies
but "any"  interesting rail or bus frequencies. I do not think this person
has any desire
other than to listen in but unfortunately one doesn't know who the lurkers
are or
what they may do with the information received from this news group.
To answer your comment about safety critical messages passed via secure
radio is extremely flawed.
In actual fact, most rail transmissions are on unsecured radio frequencies.
The greatest danger is to shunters and train crews performing shunting
utilising
Shunt With Radio procedures. When two freighters pass each other the drivers
inform each
other of any  unsafe condition that exists with their train.
I could, but wont, go on all day on this subject other than to say that
radio interference is already a
serious concern to rail safety employees.